Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Nickel and Dimed Response

     When we interviewed kids in our class about the Nickel and Dimed papers we wrote, I found that I had similar points of view with the peers I interviewed. Tyler, Matt, Emilize, and myself all agreed that we found the project pretty valuable because it teaches a good lesson.
     We discovered how difficult it would be to not only have to take care of ourselves, but also a baby. It seemed like a daunting task in the beginning, to have to organize our spendings and savings, but as the project went on, it became much easier.
     Matt said that he realized that graduating is really important. Without a high school education, there are so little job opportunities. In my own experience, I worked at Market Basket, and I only got $8.00 an hour. I worked so much and got so little pay. In real life, I do work at MB, and as a teenager, this is good to save little by little, and use some of it as pocket money as well.
     There is actually a woman at my work who is in her early twenties, works full-time at MB, and takes care of her son who is only a few months old. I dont' know her personally, but I can only imagine how difficult it is for her. I do know that her family and friends support her very much. She's actually a really good person and is always friendly when I work with her.
     In general, myself and the people I interviewd all thought that this project was really valuable. We decided that this scenario probably wouldn't happen to any of us, but if it were to, we wouldn't be completely screwed. We were able to make this plan and budget everything almost accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. This piece seems much more natural, Meghan. It's not flashy, but honest and accurate in providing your peers' views. I love the example you provide (your coworker) and would love to hear more on that topic. Also, I'd recommend a proofread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I missing a third blog from you -- on your outside reading book and the reason you selected it?

    ReplyDelete