Monday, January 17, 2011

October Sky

        I chose the book, October Sky, by Homer Hickam, for probably not the greatest reason, but a reason nonetheless. I chose it because I really, really liked the movie. It's one of my favorites, and I had been meaning to read it in book form.
       My brother had to read it in high school, so we had the book laying around already. I was so happy to see that it was a non fiction piece of literature, so I got pretty lucky in choosing that.
       The book is about this kid in a small southern town who wants to get out and make something of his life. His world revolves around the mine in his rundown town. His father works in the mine, and his destiny if to follow in his footsteps while his older brother goes to college for football. Homer's brother was lucky to get out when he did, or his fate would also involve working in the mine.
       Homer finds a way to get out, though. He gets involved in space rocketry, being completely captivated by it. Soon, he and his friends start building rockets. The town thinks he's crazy, but by the end they get really into it and it becomes a huge deal for them because someone from their little town was about to make something big of themselves.
       Although I already know the story line, I can't wait to finish the book. It's already so good; I like it better than the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment